Right to Connect: A Media-Policy Roadmap for Presidential Candidates
A platform of recommended media-and-tech policies for all presidential candidates. Over the summer of 2019, Free Press Action will send the platform to each of the presidential candidates. Free Press Action will also generate a scorecard rating each candidate’s positions relative to Right to Connect’s recommendations. What is the platform asking candidates to do?
- Restore strong Net Neutrality protections, the bedrock of digital civil rights.
- Close the digital divide and make internet access universally affordable.
- Foster diverse local media — not bigger broadcasting conglomerates.
- Learn from the inadequate response to hurricane crises in Puerto Rico and commit to building resilient infrastructure.
- Oppose harmful mergers and monopolies.
- Ensure affordable and accessible communications for incarcerated people and their loved ones.
- Acknowledge that our media system is built on a history of discrimination.
- End unwarranted government surveillance over communications networks.
- Enact policies to protect digital privacy.
- Defend journalists and expand noncommercial media to promote a thriving democracy.
Right to Connect: A Media-Policy Roadmap for Presidential Candidates Free Press Action Releases 'Right to Connect,' a Media-Policy Roadmap for Presidential Candidates