Broadband and Social Justice Summit
The summit highlights how the intersection of media, telecom, and tech policy impacts us all, from the digital elite to our most vulnerable communities. Thought leaders from government, industry, and advocacy groups address the top issues:
- FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, along with current FCC Commissioners and former FCC Chairs, discuss the latest policy developments in net neutrality, the future of the FCC’s Lifeline program, media incubators, FCC’s Advisory Committee on Diversity and Digital Empowerment, issues that affect new entrants and small businesses in the upcoming spectrum auction and 5G, and more.
- Town Hall on the impact of broadband adoption, voter participation, Smart Cities, political advertising in minority-owned media, and the Digital 2020 Census on communities of color.
- The Future of Work – The impact of automation on jobs, and how to capitalize on careers and business opportunities in broadband, infrastructure, supplier diversity, and registered apprenticeships.
- How financial technology helps to close the wealth gap, and the benefits and costs of incorporating broadband in financially marginalized communities.
- A General Counsels’ Forum addressing opportunities and obstacles for content creators in media and tech, intellectual property protection in the knowledge economy, privacy, big data, artificial intelligence, andalgorithm discrimination.
- MMTC confers our 2018 Corporate Social Impact, and Pro Bono Awards.
7:00 AM - 6:30 PM
On-Site Registration Open
8:00 AM – 9:45 AM
FCC Commissioners and Former Chairs Breakfast
10:15 AM – 12:00 PM
Diverse Career and Business Opportunities in ICT, Infrastructure and the Supply Chain
Panel 1: Supplier Diversity in ICT Infrastructure: Opportunities for Diverse Players to Win
Panel 2: Registered Apprenticeship: New Pathways to Jobs and Leadership Roles in the Careers of the Future
12:15 PM – 1:45 PM
Tech Policy and Awards Luncheon
2:00 PM – 3:30 PM
BBSJ Digital Town Hall
Big Data and Broadband: Impact on Diverse Communities, Census 2020, and Election 2020
3:45 PM – 4:45 PM
Technology Solutions in FinTech that Empower Unbanked Consumers
4:45 PM - 6:00 PM
2018 General Counsel’s Forum: Leadership, Innovation, and Corporate Social Responsibility in the Digital Economy
6:00 PM – 8:30 PM
Social Justice and FinTech Empowerment Awards Reception: Honoring Diverse Champions in Media, Telecom and Tech