Minnesota Releases Draft Digital Opportunity Plan
On August 21, 2023, the Minnesota Office of Broadband Development released its Draft Digital Opportunity Plan for public comment. According to the plan, Minnesota's vision for digital equity is a future where digital equity connects all Minnesota residents to opportunities, options, and each other. The Office of Broadband Development created this plan following extensive stakeholder engagement and digital equity data collection. Public comments can be submitted to the state using this form until September 29, 2023. Key strategies include:
- Establish a Digital Opportunity Leaders Network to coordinate support digital opportunity initiatives regionally and statewide.
- Expand OBD’s public data and mapping tools to include digital opportunity measures.
- Prepare reports exploring models for: (1) a statewide tech helpline; (2) state-level programs mirroring ACP or Lifeline; and (3) a state-managed system for loaning large-screen devices long-term.
- Partner with state offices serving people at high-risk for digital exclusion.
- Coordinate with ISPs to support newly connected households needing education and resources.
- Administer targeted grants to support:
- Local and tribal governments preparing their own digital opportunity plans.
- Community partners piloting positions focused on trust-based digital opportunity work.
- Small businesses improving technology access.
- Local and tribal governments improving web accessibility.
Minnesota Draft Digital Opportunity Plan