New America Issues Recommendations to FCC on Broadband Labels
New America's Open Technology Institute (OTI) sent recommendations to the FCC on the “broadband nutrition label,” a standardized form that clearly discloses the price and terms of internet service plans. OTI submitted the following comments and recommendations:
- Broadband disclosures are opaque, confusing, and intimidating.
- The labels must promote transparency, simplicity, and competition.
- The labels can promote digital equity and other pro-consumer goals.
- The content of the 2016 labels should be updated.
- The format of the 2016 labels should be updated.
- The FCC should anticipate long-term enforcement needs.
- Small providers are market leaders on transparency.
- The FCC should solicit more public feedback.
OTI to Testify on Broadband Nutrition Label, Issues Recommendations to FCC