Originally published: April 22, 2015
Last updated: April 22, 2015 - 7:57pm
Facebook announced changes to its news-feed algorithm that will result in people seeing more posts from their friends, while making it harder for companies to drum up traffic through unpaid posts. It tweaked the algorithm as part of a long-running effort to show more relevant content, the company said.
Late in 2014, Facebook took steps to cut the number of promotional posts in the news feed. Facebook said it made three changes: It relaxed a rule preventing users from seeing multiple posts from the same sources; it will promote photos, videos and updates from a user’s friends higher in the news feed; and it will show users fewer updates about friends “liking” or “commenting” on a particular article or post. Those stories will be dropped lower in the news feed, or not shown at all. Facebook made the changes after asking people to rate their news feeds. In general, people said they didn’t like seeing stories about their friends liking or commenting on a post, the company said. The steps will make it tougher for businesses and community groups to reach as many users without paying for ads. Facebook, which has 1.4 billion monthly users, has become a key source of traffic for publishers.
- As User Interaction on Facebook Drops, Sharing Comes at a Cost
- Facebook Feeds Rely on Data, Human Touch
- Facebook to Change News Feed to Focus on Friends and Family
- Facebook to launch redesigned News Feed immediately, include feeds
- What do we really want out of Facebook?
- Facebook Gives Users More Control Over Their News Feeds
- Why Twitter’s users are in open revolt
- Facebook Moves to Curtail Fake News on ‘Trending’ Feature
- Advertisers' Free Ride May End On Facebook
- Rogue Marketers Can Mine Your Info on Facebook
- Facebook Explores Changes to News Feed
- Facebook Says It’s Sorry. We’ve Heard That Before.
- A Startup Repackages the News for a Facebook Generation
- Facebook feature to promote friends' posts raises privacy issues
- Is it time to separate the news from the Facebook newsfeed?