The Power of Media to Breed Hate, Impact Health and Shape Opinions
National Hispanic Media Coalition
September 18, 2012
9:30AM-11:00AM PST (12:30PM-2:00PM EST)
The National Hispanic Media Coalition (NHMC), together with the UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center and Latino Decisions, has released a series of academic studies and a national poll detailing the role of the media in breeding hate and shaping public opinion about Latinos and other groups.
Key findings include that:
1. Hate speech is pervasive in U.S. media.
2. Big media corporations perpetuate hate through social networks.
3. Listening to hate speech could negatively impact the physical health of listeners, regardless of whether those listeners agree or disagree with the speaker.
4. The media is hugely influential in shaping opinions about Latinos and others.
Specific data points, including new data about how most people get their news and information, will be presented and explained in the webinar, and there will be opportunities to ask questions of the researchers.
- Alex Nogales - President & CEO, National Hispanic Media Coalition (NHMC). NHMC advances Latino employment and programming equity throughout the entertainment industry and advocates for telecommunications policies that benefit Latinos.
- Matt Barreto - Founding Partner, Latino Decisions (LD). LD is the leader in Latino political opinion research.
- Chon A. Noriega, Ph.D. - Director of the UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center (CSRC) and Professor in the UCLA
Register now! WEBINAR "The Power of Media to Breed Hate..." | 9/18 12:30-2 EST | http://ow.ly/dDAbe #polldata #immig #latinos