The Importance of Local Voices in Broadband Decisions
Members from both sides of the aisle say they want to work together to increase broadband for more Americans, and that they see access to the internet as essential. Unfortunately, so far local voices have too often been missing when the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and Congress are debating issues like 5G development and infrastructure investments that impact all Americans.
Please join Congresswoman Anna Eshoo (D-CA-18) and Next Century Cities for this timely conversation. The Congressional briefing will feature remarks by Congresswoman Eshoo and a panel of local elected officials from across the country, who will discuss creative local solutions and the importance of local input and decision-making for broadband issues like infrastructure planning, 5G development, and rural broadband access. The panel, moderated by Next Century Cities' Executive Director Deb Socia, will include:
- Wade Troxell, Mayor, Fort Collins, Colorado
- Robert Wack, City Council President, Westminster, Maryland
- Jeremy Pietzold, City Council President & Sandynet Chair, Sandy, Oregon
- Greg Murphy, Supervisor Chair & Power Board Chair, Faxon Township, Minnesota
- Patrick Mulhearn, Policy Analyst, Santa Cruz County, California