Countering Terrorism while Protecting Privacy and Civil Liberties: Where do We Stand in 2019?
The purpose of the forum, which is open to the public and members of the media, is for Board Members to hear from experts about current and emerging challenges related to the Board’s mission: ensuring that efforts by the Executive Branch to protect the nation from terrorism appropriately safeguard privacy and civil liberties. The forum will inform the Board as it develops its agenda for 2019 and beyond.
The Board will hear from these experts:
• Alexander Joel – Chief, Office of Civil Liberties, Privacy and Transparency, Office of the Director of National Intelligence;
• Chris Calabrese – Vice President, Policy, Center for Democracy & Technology;
• Carrie Cordero – Senior Fellow and General Counsel, Center for a New American Security;
• Alex Abdo – Senior Staff Attorney, Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University;
• Jason Matheny – Commissioner on the National Security Commission on Artificial Intelligence (AI) and former Director of the Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA) for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence.
In addition, members of the public will have an opportunity to offer comments and pose questions to the panelists.