Sai Sachin

Facebook makes little progress in race, gender diversity

Facebook's employees are still mainly white or Asian males as the world's largest social network made little progress in hiring a more diverse talent pool over the past year. The findings in Facebook's annual diversity report reflects the scant progress made by Silicon Valley heavyweights in employing more women and minorities.

In June, Alphabet's Google released data on diversity, saying it had more black, Latino and female employees than in 2015, but still lagged its goal of mirroring the population. Women represented 33 percent of Facebook's global workforce as of June 30, compared with 32 percent a year earlier, the report said. Women held 27 percent of senior leadership roles, up from 23 percent a year earlier. Facebook said 3 percent of its senior leadership in the United States was black, up from 2 percent a year earlier. Among its US technology workers, Facebook made no progress among two groups. In both 2015 and 2016, Hispanics made up 3 percent of tech employees while blacks made up 1 percent. Facebook's overall US workforce includes 4 percent of Latinos and 2 percent of blacks, unchanged from last year, the report said. Asians represented 38 percent of Facebook's U.S. workforce and 21 percent of its senior leadership. The majority of Facebook's global tech employees, at 83 percent, are men, down marginally from last year's 84 percent.