What's on the agenda for policymakers.
Sinclair Broadcast Group has extended the deadline for the Justice Department’s decision regarding its proposed $3.9 billion acquisition of Tribune Media.
Members from both sides of the aisle say they want to work together to increase broadband for more Americans, and that they see access to the internet as essential. Unfortunately, so far local voices have too often been missing when the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and Congress are debating issues like 5G development and infrastructure investments that impact all Americans.
The Multicultural Media, Telecom and Internet Council (MMTC) has been a formal partner for some key initiatives at the Federal Communications Commission.
THIS HEARING HAS BEEN CANCELED
Dr. Eric Burger, appointed by Chairman Pai as the FCC’s newest chief technology officer, serves as an advisor to the Chairman and as the senior technology expert in the agency. We’ll have a “fireside chat” with Eric to hear about his work, include finding a technical solution to robocalls, rural broadband deployment, and supporting the security, stability, and reliability of the IP network.
9:00 a.m. Registration
9:30 a.m. Welcome and opening remarks
- Dr. Loel Solomon, vice president, community health, Kaiser Permanente
- James P. Steyer, CEO and founder, Common Sense
10:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m. The Truth About Tech: Industry's Role in Shaping Health and Democracy
The hearing will examine the October 2016 Uber data breach, the overall value of so-called “bug bounty” programs and other approaches to identify vulnerabilities, and the allegations of impermissible payments by Uber to conceal the security incident.
- Mr. John Flynn, Chief Information Security Officer, Uber Technologies, Inc.
- Mr. Marten Mickos, Chief Executive Officer, HackerOne, Inc.
- Ms. Katie Moussouris, Chief Executive Officer, Luta Security, Inc.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) maintains exclusive or shared regulatory responsibility for a wide range of issues including privacy, cyber-security, media broadband deployment, and network neutrality. Some of these issues, like network neutrality, have generated millions of comments to the FCC and are currently among the most controversial topics in public policy.
Join Public Knowledge for a conversation about privacy legislation in 2018 and the launch of "Principles for Privacy Legislation," a new white paper from Public Knowledge Senior Vice President Harold Feld.
Our panel, representing a range of viewpoints, includes:
Justin Brookman, Director of Consumer Privacy and Technology Policy, Consumers Union
Eric Null, Policy Counsel, Open Technology Institute
Three Wilson Center analysts examine the push and pull between state and society in the expression of cultural values in contemporary technologies, and what this tension implies for the international system:
1. Valerie Anishchenkova: The importance of video games in modern global culture cannot be underestimated, especially in their increasing impact on personal and collective identities. What do Russian war-themed video games reveal about contemporary Russian nationalism? Who are friends and who are foes? Drawn directly from today’s geopolitical conflicts.