Originally published: July 12, 2011
Last updated: July 12, 2011 - 6:25pm
Although most hospitals that participated in the American Hospital Association's 2011 "Most Wired Survey" are moving forward with implementation of clinical care and patient safety technology, they continue to be challenged by federal meaningful use criteria.
To determine the Most Wired list, published this month in Hospitals & Health Networks magazine, hospitals were evaluated on four factors:
- Business and administrative management;
- Care continuum;
- Clinical quality and safety; and
The survey included additional requirements that corresponded to meaningful use criteria. Under the 2009 economic stimulus package, health care providers who demonstrate meaningful use of certified electronic health record systems can qualify for Medicaid and Medicare incentive payments. According to the results, hospitals generally reported strong advances in certain areas of health IT adoption. Most Wired hospitals reported significant advances in computerized provider order entry. According to the survey, hospitals generally reported strong advances in certain areas of health IT adoption. Most Wired hospitals reported strong advances in computerized provider order entry.
- Health Information Technology: An Updated Systematic Review With a Focus on Meaningful Use
- Survey: Many Hospitals Fall Short of Latest 'Meaningful Use' Rules
- HHS Defines 'Meaningful Use' for EHRs
- Panel Offers Initial Criteria for Defining 'Meaningful Use'
- Low-Income Patients Interested in Digital Health Communication
- HIMSS publishes 'meaningful use' definitions
- Survey: 10% of Hospitals Ready for Stage 1 of Meaningful Use
- HHS announces next steps to promote use of electronic health records and health information exchange
- Final Rules To Support 'Meaningful Use' of Electronic Health Records
- More doctors adopting EHRs to improve patient care and safety
- Doctors and Hospitals Say Goals on Computerized Records Are Unrealistic
- FDA eyes regulation of wireless networks at clinics, hospitals
- ONC panel approves steps for provider directories, NHIN rules
- Health IT Policy Panel Approves Revisions on 'Meaningful Use'
- Accelerating Progress on EHR Adoption Rates and Achieving Meaningful Use