Originally published: May 26, 2011
Last updated: May 26, 2011 - 10:33pm
The National Hispanic Media Coalition will file a petition to deny AT&T’s acquisition of T-Mobile.
NHMC’s decision was reached after extensive research and consideration of how this deal will impact the Latino community. To its credit, AT&T’s record in the Latino community is commendable. AT&T has a distinguished history of outreach to and philanthropic support of the Latino community, as well as an excellent record of hiring and retaining Latinos at all levels of employment. On balance, however, NHMC has determined that AT&T’s positive corporate responsibility is outweighed by the negative long-term harms that this acquisition will have on consumers, generally, and people of color in particular. “As so many Americans are struggling financially, particularly Latinos, over 25% of whom are in poverty, NHMC will ask the FCC to ensure that its decision protects the most vulnerable consumers so that they are not disproportionately harmed by higher prices,” said Jessica J. González, NHMC’s Vice President of Policy & Legal Affairs. “The evidence, unfortunately, points to the sad reality that this acquisition will lead to higher mobile phone prices, fewer consumer choices, poor customer service, and layoffs.” Latinos pay more for mobile service than any other demographic group. Latinos, on average pay $102 a month on T-Mobile, compared to $120 a month on AT&T, $117 on Sprint and $115 on Verizon. 25% of T-Mobile customers are Latino, and many of them choose T-Mobile because of its affordability, flexibility and excellent customer service.
- Latinos Are Changing the Landscape of Television
- The Latino Coalition Backs AT&T's Acquisition of T-Mobile
- Acquisition of T-Mobile USA by AT&T
- American Hate Radio: How A Powerful Outlet For Democratic Discourse Has Deteriorated Into Hate, Racism and Extremism
- FCC Sets Pleading Cycle for AT&T Spectrum Transfer to T-Mobile
- What Does The AT&T/T-Mobile Merger Mean For You?
- FCC Has No Choice but to Reject AT&T Takeover of T-Mobile
- Pleading Cycle Set for Review of AT&T's Acquisition of T-Mobile
- Groups Ask FCC To Hold Hearings on AT&T Takeover Of T-Mobile
- Sprint Files Opposition to AT&T/T-Mobile at FCC
- Consumers Union Warns Congress About AT&T Deal
- AT&T: T-Mobile sucks (and we'd like to buy it for $39 billion)
- NASUCA Backs Efforts to Block AT&T/T-Mobile
- AT&T wants T-Mobile customers to switch. And it’s offering them hundreds to do it.
- AT&T’s 11th-Hour Plan to Save Its Deal With T-Mobile