Last updated: July 23, 2009 - 7:41am
An April 2009 survey shows that 56% of adult Americans have accessed the Internet by wireless means, such as using a laptop, mobile device, game console, or MP3 player. The most prevalent way people get online using a wireless network is with a laptop computer; 39% of adults have done this. The report also finds rising levels of Americans using the Internet on a mobile handset. One-third of Americans (32%) have used a cell phone or Smartphone to access the Internet for emailing, instant-messaging, or information-seeking. This level of mobile Internet is up by one-third since December 2007, when 24% of Americans had ever used the Internet on a mobile device. On the typical day, nearly one-fifth (19%) of Americans use the Internet on a mobile device, up substantially from the 11% level recorded in December 2007. That's a growth of 73% in the 16 month interval between surveys. African Americans are the most active users of the mobile Internet. Nearly half (48%) of African Americans have at one time used the Internet on a mobile device, and on the average day 29% go online with a handheld - both figures are half again the national average. Moreover, the growth in mobile handheld online use on the average day since 2007 for African Americans is twice the national average - 141% for African Americans versus the 73% average.
- Adults and Video Games
- Technology Device Ownership: 2015
- Generations and their gadgets
- Twitter and Status Updating
- Americans and their gadgets
- Adware is biggest threat to smartphone security in U.S., report says
- Minorities most active on mobile phones
- Six in ten Americans go online wirelessly using a laptop or cell phone
- Cell phones and American adults
- 21% Have a TV Connected to Web
- Study: 74% of Mobile Users Have Smartphones
- Which network will Apple's tablet flood?
- Big Screen, Smart Screen, Small Screen
- Google for Education is a technology trend to watch!
- Lack of Trust in Internet Privacy and Security May Deter Economic and Other Online Activities