Follow up on this event's outcomes through the related Headlines linked below to or skip to the event data.
This event has passed.
Setting a High Standard for Broadband Stimulus Funding:
Urban and Rural Examples of the "Best in Breed"
Thursday, May 7th
National Press Club, The First Amendment Lounge
529 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20045
The Benton Foundation hosts a panel discussion on the characteristics of the "best of the breed" broadband stimulus applications.
- San Francisco and Seattle provide excellent examples of innovative approaches like fiber-to-the-home piloting in low-income neighborhoods; public ownership; dark fiber construction for private sector leasing; and robust, energetic digital inclusion efforts.
- Members of the Rural Fiber Alliance will examine approaches that make sense to reach Rural America
- Measuring Success: We'll make the case for community-level metrics as a necessary component of the broadband stimulus projects
Panel 1: Best Practices/Case Studies from Urban and Rural America
- Joanne Hovis, moderator
- Bill Schrier, Chief Technology Officer, City of Seattle
- Chris Vein, Chief Information Officer, City of San Francisco
- Tim Nulty, ECFiber
- Gary Evans, Hiawatha Broadband
- Donny Smith, Jaguar Communications
Panel 2: Respondants
- Charles Benton, moderator
- Dr. Kate Williams, University of Illinois
- Mark Ansboury, Chief Technology Officer, OneCommunity
- Geoff Daily, App-Rising.com and Rural Fiber Alliance
- Must-Attend Event: "Setting a High Standard for Broadband Stimulus Funding"
- Incumbents smart to watch stimulus funding carefully
- 706 Joint Conference Says "Pick Me, Pick Me" for National Broadband Clearinghouse
- The Digital Road to Recovery: A Stimulus Plan to Create Jobs, Boost Productivity and Revitalize America
- National Broadband Plan Workshop: Low Adoption and Utilization - Importance of Broadband and Applications (see summary)
- Free Press Offers "Big Ideas" for Broadband Workshop
- Could Another 9-11 Be Mitigated by a $16 Billion National Public Safety Broadband Network?
- Washington Hearings Drives Home Complexities in Awarding Broadband Stimulus Money
- Americans Watching More TV Than Ever
- Review of Rural Broadband Programs
- RUS Doubles Down On DSL Among Other Mistakes
- House Panel Will Get Broadband Update
- Arris Offers Support To Ops Applying For Broadband Funds
- ‘Big Gig Challenge’ Seeks to Bolster Muni Fiber Projects in Northeast Ohio
- School-Library Partnerships and Other Strategies for Anchor Institution Broadband Deployment