Follow up on this event's outcomes through the related Headlines linked below to or skip to the event data.
This event has passed.
Pickering, Free Press and OIC to Discuss Broadband Stimulus Programs
Monday, March 9
2 p.m. ET/11 a.m. PT
The three federal agencies charged with overseeing $7.2 billion in broadband stimulus funds will hold a joint public meeting on Tuesday, March 10. Prior to that meeting, former Rep. Chip Pickering (R-Miss.) will join Free Press and the Open Internet Coalition on a national conference call to outline ways to implement model broadband programs that promote the public interest and guide future technology policy.
The American Reinvestment and Recovery Act, signed into law last month by President Barack Obama, allocates $4.7 billion to the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) for broadband adoption and deployment in "unserved," "underserved" and low-income communities; $2.5 billion to the Department of Agriculture's Rural Utilities Service (RUS) for rural broadband; and directs the Federal Communications Commission to develop a national broadband strategy.
The NTIA, FCC and RUS are expected to hold several public meetings as the agencies work to establish robust broadband grant programs. Monday's call will focus on the priorities, policies and procedures that should direct the grantmaking process.
Read Fress Press' Putting the Angels in the Details: A Roadmap for Broadband Stimulus Success: http://www.freepress.net/files/Angels_in_the_Details.pdf
Broadband meeting agenda: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/broadbandgrants/Agenda_090310.pdf
- Extension Granted for Round 2 Broadband Stimulus Applications
- NTIA Taking Broadband Grants Meetings
- Phone firms seek low bar for broadband grants
- Grant Program Must Balance Competing Interests and Remain Transparent, Experts Say
- Definition of Innovative Programs at Issue at NTIA Roundtable
- NTIA Releases Notice; Announces Additional Public Meetings
- Industry Reactions to NTIA/RUS Broadband Meeting Generally Positive
- Second Broadband Stimulus Funding Window Opens
- Navigate the $7.2 Billion Broadband Stimulus: A Compass For Stakeholders
- Agenda for March 10 Public Meeting on Broadband Initiatives
- The BroadbandCensus.com List of NTIA Comments
- NTIA, RUS flooded with comments about broadband stimulus
- Qwest ready to seek broadband stimulus dollars
- Stimulus funds for high-speed Internet access tangled up
- Further Opportunities Exist to Strengthen Oversight of Broadband Stimulus Programs