Originally published: July 6, 2014
Last updated: July 6, 2014 - 10:26pm
[Commentary] The latest Edward Snowden disclosures show that the National Security Agency vacuumed up far more data on far more Americans. In fact 9 out of 10 of people whose accounts were caught up in the data dragnet were not targets of any investigation.
Now we’ll wait for the reactions to roll in from US tech companies that are trying to paint themselves as worthy stewards of customer information.
Industry execs ranging from Cisco CEO John Chambers, Microsoft General Counsel Brad Smith and HP EVP Bill Veghte have all said that US government data collection has put tech vendors behind the eight-ball as they try to sell technology -- from networking hardware to cloud computing.
Google, Facebook and other companies are pressuring the government to be more transparent -- or let them be more transparent -- about what customer data intelligence agencies ask for.
But let’s face it: People who are surprised by the latest Snowden disclosures should not be. Previous NSA whistleblowers already told the world that the NSA has been collecting their email and phone conversations for a quite some time.
- The upside of PRISM: At least we’re talking about data privacy — or the lack thereof
- In NSA-intercepted data, those not targeted far outnumber the foreigners who are
- Lawmakers say Administration’s lack of candor on surveillance weakens oversight
- At SXSW, Snowden Speaks About NSA Spying
- Snowden’s Leaks Have Finally Forced Companies to Enhance Their Security
- NSA created 'European bazaar' to spy on EU citizens, Snowden tells European Parliament
- Why we need to stop freaking out about the NSA and get on with business
- The government should loosen Google’s gag
- President Obama says Clapper ‘Should Have Been More careful’
- Here’s how the government justifies sucking up your phone records
- NSA leaks: UK's enemies are 'rubbing their hands with glee', says MI6 chief
- Attorney General Holder questions NSA phone data collection
- House Defeats Effort to Rein In NSA Data Gathering
- NSA Said to Search Content of Messages to and From US
- Latest Snowden leak? Sweden spied on Russia for US