PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE GIVES FCC MIXED REVIEW ON BROADBAND ACTIONS
[SOURCE: Public Knowledge, AUTHOR: Gigi Sohn]
"The Commission today presented a mixed message to the public. On one hand, the Commission issued another report finding that broadband deployment in the U.S. was proceeding in a “reasonable and timely” fashion. As Commissioners Copps and Adelstein pointed out, the report is based on faulty and incomplete information and so does not present a true picture of broadband deployment. It is a mystery why the Commission chose to issue this report when, mere moments later, the Commission admitted the inadequacy of the information by starting the process to update the data collection on broadband. The Commission should be commended for recognizing the need to change long-outdated definition of broadband it had been using, and for starting the process to collect much more detailed information about broadband capabilities and deployment. It is unfortunate that information about the residential market is not separated from the commercial, and that information on pricing was put off to a further proceeding. While it contemplates its new data collection, The Commission should also consider making its information available to the public on a more frequent basis than the twice-yearly reports it issues now."
- 2016 Broadband Progress Report Chairman’s Draft
- FCC Releases Data on High-Speed Services for Internet Access
- FCC Launches Inquiry on Broadband Deployment
- What Is “Advanced Telecommunications Capability” And Why Does The FCC Examine It?
- The Question of Preemption: The FCC Considers Lifting Municipal Broadband Restrictions
- Tenth Broadband Progress Notice of Inquiry
- FCC Launches New Inquiry into Broadband Availability
- Did Congress Empower the FCC to Regulate the Internet? Appeals Court Says ‘Yes’
- Preempt State Broadband Reporting Requirements? Under What Authority?
- FCC Releases Agenda for Open Meeting Thursday, January 29, 2015
- FCC Open Meeting (Jan 2015)
- Justifying the Ends: Section 706 and the Regulation of Broadband
- Public Knowledge Files Petition to Deny in AT&T/DirecTV Merger
- FCC Finds Nation Makes Progress in Broadband Deployment But Challenges Remain (updated with link to report)
- Senate Network Neutrality Hearing Recap