Originally published: October 30, 2011
Last updated: November 3, 2011 - 1:04pm
About 80 percent of congressional lawmakers' websites now link to the members' Facebook and Twitter pages compared with just about 20 percent in 2009, according to a study.
Nearly 75 percent of members' sites that link to social media pages have updated those pages in the past week, according to the study from the Congressional Management Foundation. In the foundation's 2009 study, only 14 percent of members who linked to Facebook or Twitter profiles had updated them in the previous month.
Among the deficiencies the report noted:
-- 40 percent of congressional sites don't post links to legislation the member has sponsored;
-- 44 percent fail to provide information or links on the member's voting record; and
-- 67 percent don't offer detailed contact information, such as phone numbers or email addresses for constituent services, legislative questions or other specific queries.
Committee sites fared better, according to the report:
-- 90 percent include a hearing archive;
-- 87 percent link to committee reports and publications;
-- 85 percent include a committee schedule; and
-- 78 percent provide live or archived webcasts of hearings.
- Study: GOP senators beating Dems on social media
- Lawmakers' websites improving, report finds
- Republicans may be winning the social media war
- FEMA asks newly elected lawmakers to promote their widgets
- Social media's role in Arab spring still unclear
- Group will study whether lawmakers are using Twitter less after Weiner scandal
- Social media not so hot on the Hill
- Ambassador Susan Rice hosts virtual town hall at Twitter
- Chairman Issa to grill White House on Twitter, Facebook messages
- Social media tends to be a one-way communication for FEMA
- How Social Networking Can Re-Invigorate American Democracy and Civic Participation
- Twitter emerges on Washington front line
- Much More Than WhiteHouse.gov
- Social Media Still Has Skeptics in Government
- Member of Congress? There's an app for that.