National Museum and Library Services Board
November 15, 2012
Institute of Museum and Library Services
The 26th meeting of the (NMLSB). The focus of the board meeting will be the role of libraries and museums in early learning. President Obama has made early childhood learning a priority and IMLS is promoting policies, analyzing data and making grants to help integrate libraries and museums into community-wide early learning strategies. The board will hear from foundation, government, library and museum experts to help inform future IMLS activities in this area.
Speakers (in order of presentation):
- Ralph Smith, managing director of the Campaign for Grade-Level Reading and senior vice president of the Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Shannon Rudisill, director of the Office of Child Care in the Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Harriet Coalter, director of the Richmond Public Library in Richmond, Virginia
- Julia Webb Bland, CEO of the Louisiana Children’s Museum, immediate past president of the Association of Children’s Museums, and a current member of the .
IMLS anticipates that eight new NMLSB members, nominated by President Obama, will be officially appointed by the time of the board meeting:
- Charles Benton, chairman and CEO of the Benton Foundation
- Christie Pearson Brandau, retired state Llbrarian and adjunct professor at the School of Library and Information Management at Emporia State University
- Bert Castro, president and CEO of the Arizona Zoological Society/Phoenix Zoo
- Paula Gangopadhyay, chief learning officer at The Henry Ford
- Luis Herrera, city librarian of the San Francisco Public Library
- Dr. Eric J. Jolly, president of the Science Museum of Minnesota
- Susana Torruella Leval, director emerita of El Museo del Barrio
- Suzanne E. Thorin, dean of Libraries and University Librarian at Syracuse University
The meeting is open to the public. To attend, please R.S.V.P. to Elizabeth Lyons [email protected].