FCC Open Meeting (April 2011)
FCC Open Meeting
Thursday, April 7
The FCC will consider:
- An Order that reforms the Commission’s access, rates, and enforcement rules for utility pole attachments, reducing barriers to deployment and availability of broadband and other wireline and wireless services, and promoting competition.
- A Notice of Inquiry seeking comment on key challenges and best practices in expanding the reach and reducing the cost of broadband deployment, including by improving policies for access to government rights of way and wireless facility siting requirements.
- A Second Report and Order that adopts a rule requiring facilities-based providers of commercial mobile data services to offer data roaming arrangements to other such providers on commercially reasonable terms and conditions, subject to certain limitations.
- A Notice of Inquiry seeking comment on existing reliability standards for communications networks, including broadband networks, and ways to further strengthen the reliability and continuity of communications networks to avoid disruptions of service during major emergencies, such as large-scale natural and manmade disasters.
- A Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that will help to fill gaps in wireless coverage and expand broadband in rural and difficult-to serve areas, while protecting wireless networks from harm.
- A Report and Order that will adopt rules to detect and prevent fraud and abuse in the provision of video relay service (“VRS”). Also, a Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Proposes to require all VRS providers to obtain certification from the FCC under new, tighter certification procedures in order to receive compensation from the TRS Fund.