FCC Media Ownership Workshop
Media Ownership Financial Issues
445 12th Street SW
Washington, DC 20554
January 12, 2010
The workshop will focus on the current financial and economic conditions and marketplace factors affecting the media industry and how the FCC should take these into account as it conducts its review process.
Specifically, the forum will examine whether:
- The media ownership rules affect the financial health of broadcasters
- Lending or investing institutions consider the rules in their funding practices
- Economic changes affecting the media marketplace are cyclical or permanent
- There is a need to balance financial conditions in the media industry with other policy goals when conducting the Commission's ownership review and, if so, how that should be done
Agenda and Panelists:
9:00 a.m. Welcome and Introductory Remarks
9:15 a.m. Financial Issues Facing Larger Markets/Large Broadcasters
- Brandon Burgess, ION Media Networks
- James Cotter, Sun Trust Bank
- Brian Rich, Catalyst Investors
- Marci Ryvicker, Wells Fargo
11:00 a.m. Financial Issues Facing Smaller Markets/Small Broadcasters
- Susan Patrick, Patrick Communications
- Maria De Leon, KXTD Gaytan Broadcasting Media, LLC
- Rick Peters, Bluewater Broadcasting
- Terry Jones, Syncom Funds
1:00 p.m. Adjournment
Additional panelists may appear.
The workshop will also explore how new media are affecting broadcasters, the lending and investment practices in traditional media, and how market size affects financial issues related to broadcasting.
The forum will consist of two panels. The first will be comprised of smaller broadcasters, or broadcasters that compete in smaller markets, and representatives of financial institutions that serve them. The second panel, consisting of larger broadcasters or broadcasters that compete in the larger markets, will also include representatives from financial institutions that serve these broadcasters.
Public participation at the workshop is encouraged. For those who cannot attend in person, audio/video coverage will be broadcast live over the Internet from the FCC Live web page at www.fcc.gov/live.
Open captioning of the forum will be provided. Other reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities are available upon request. Include a description of the accommodation you will need. Also include a way we can contact you if we need more information. Last-minute requests will be accepted, but may not be possible to fill. Send an e-mail to [email protected] or call the Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau at 202-418-0530 (voice), 202-418-0432 (tty).
For further information, contact Mania Baghdadi or Amy Brett, Industry Analysis Division, Media Bureau (202) 418-2330. Media Bureau press contact: Janice Wise (202) 418-8165.